viernes, enero 04, 2008

Smells like JFK spirit...

Portsmouthnhchipsomodevillagetty

A reader, among many, writes:



I am a white man, straight, Midwestern suburban kid who went to public high school and on to the Ivy Leagues and top-end grad schooling.

I was born in 1971, three years after the deaths of MLK and RFK, but I used to listen to recordings of their speeches as early as 5 years old. My mother taught me that fairness and equality among all people was the most American of values. So it should come as no surprise that in the already Southern Strategy Republican Party-era I have been a lifelong Democrat.


And I have been scouring the internet and news stations for little reactions like the one you began with this morning. And I am just sitting here weeping at that report of the shrieks of joy that you posted. What this moment and day means cannot be overstated to this country.


As an American, I have been full of rage and hatred at Republicans these past 7 years for how they have cynically and deliberately and sneeringly fouled every notion of decency this country stands for - my rage was come by honestly. I feel all of the things the bombthrower feels. Edwards would seem to be my guy. And I like John Edwards personally. I want that guy on my side.


But Obama brings me to tears, over and over, and over again. And I find that the correctness of vitriol and the satisfaction in its venting is trumped by the value of being drawn toward empathy and forgiveness for your sworn enemies. And reading about the raw elation of African-Americans who see this as the first true real deal for the first moment in all American history, it makes it that much sweeter.


I have a lot of connections to the NH field staff for Obama and I have no doubt whatsoever Obama will win NH from what I hear daily. And then he will win South Carolina. And then the machine-chit system Clinton is using for the Feb 5 states will fall like a house of cards. Obama is already up and running in those states on the ground with his own organization, not proxies.


And on November 4, 2008, you will see a landslide and a national mandate, no matter the Republican opponent. Not even McCain can withstand this. A 72-year old man cannot stand up to the under 45 generational wave. There was a 30% increase in Republican turnout... over 2000 (remember no caucus in 2004 for them). Dem increase since 2000? 290%. 290-30. That is an eloquent statement about the devastation the Bush years have unleashed on their own party, in addition to the nation and the world. And Huckabee is their cynically created frankenstein, a golem they can no longer control.


This morning is such a beautiful one.

No hay comentarios.: