miércoles, noviembre 16, 2005

Porqué el fin de la cultura gay significa también el declive de Roma

Andrew Sullivan - el mejor intelectual sobre teoría gay en este momento - publicó en The New Republic un sugerente artículo, The End of Gay Culture, que afirma como la integración de lo gay en la cultura mayoritaria Occidental (en especial en el caso americano) supondrá el fin de la cultura gay como la conocemos - algo supuesta subterráneo y escandaloso - y se volverá algo común y corriente, en una palabra, normal. Pero también tendrá un efecto rebote, el fin de la derecha religiosa como la conocemos. Por ejemplo: el 5 de diciembre próximo inicia al registro legal de parejas del mismo sexo en el Reino Unido, y hasta el ejército se está adaptando a ese cambio, permitiendo a los soldados gays recibir a sus parejas en los cuarteles. Oh, por ejemplo, en Massachusetts ya nadie habla sobre "matrimonio gay", solo de habla de matrimonios, a poco más de un año de su legalización. La reacción de los lectores ha sido variada, pero en especial todos han coincidido con su propuesta. Un correo electrónico que le llegó hoy, y su opinión:
"I'm 26, and an out gay male living in Grand Junction, Colorado. It's my hometown, and a very conservative place to live. Western Colorado is not known for its tolerance. The airport is named for the founder of the local KKK branch. I came out 6 years ago in the big city of Dallas, TX and had the comfort of a huge "gay community" that included our own "gayborhood," two city-council members and a supportive public. I moved back home to Western Colorado for various reasons about a year ago. I was dreading the idea of being "out" in the place I was born and raised...but I decided to be completely honest with anyone who asked.
Within a few weeks of course people asked about me. "Do you have a girlfriend? Why not? " or simply, "Are you gay?" I was honest with everyone and expected a backlash. Nothing. Well, I say nothing...but what really happened was a lot of cool straight people smiled and said "Thats awesome" or "Oh yeah? Got a boyfriend? I know someone you should meet!"
I would say that no one cared, but in a sense, they all cared. They cared about me and wanted me to be honest and happy. I've even had a few of my straight guy friends say "You're the coolest dude we know...gay or straight." A few offered to kick any homophobic ass that says or does anything to harm me. Luckily that hasn't happened...but the sentiment was nice.
I have had only one negative experience. I was at a club recently. Some random guy yelled "Faggot" in my direction. I'm not sure who it was, but they didn't do anything else to cause trouble. Once I told my straight friends who were with me, they nearly started a riot. I had to hold them back from attacking anyone in that vicinity for calling me that name.There I was, a gay man in the heart of straight country. And every person around me was willing to fight for my sake. I never thought that would have ever happened in my hometown. But it did. And I'm glad.

- I'm glad too. The religious right is fighting a losing battle on this one. And they're also fighting the compassion and love of the Jesus they claim to represent."

Así es. Es un fenómeno social imparable. Sí, aún hay mucha discriminación pero es menos aceptada que hace sólo 10 años. Imaginen una campaña nacional contra la homofobia, patrocinada por un gobierno del PAN. Y hasta en Puebla hubo una marcha del orgullo este año! Y cada año México - como el mundo - es más y más urbano, y liberal, y eso va en contra de los intereses anti liberales de la Iglesia Católica. O se adapta a un mundo más diverso y tolerante, o será dejada atrás...

No hay comentarios.: